Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Think about it...

This post is about wedding dresses... and I can almost guarantee that this post is not what you think...

This is an obsession of mine since one of my mom's very first weddings.

The backside of dresses. More specifically, how women look in the backside of their dress.

I don't mean to be indelicate, but let's face it ladies, people are going to be staring at your rear for a good portion of your ceremony. (Depending on how long it is, type of ceremony, etc. Your experience may vary.)

Years ago, my mother planned a medieval themed wedding for a couple, and the bride was... not skinny. To add insult to injury, her bridesmaids, and her gown consultant, had convinced her that she looked fantastic in a deep purple, crushed velvet gown, with added-on white tulle rouching at the hips. My mother still laughs to this day at my private comment to her, saying that my 15-year-old self really summed it up perfectly...

"That's a dress that looked good on the size 2 mannequin (which I seriously doubt), and nobody told her that it didn't translate that well to a size 24..." :/ (Even at 15, I knew what was going on... )

I wasn't trying to be insulting, but the service was at least an hour to an hour and a half long, and her back was to us most of the time.

Now, this doesn't apply to just plus-sized brides, I certainly mean no insult to those of us with larger physiques. (I myself am considered a plus-size by most modern standards...) I just want to draw attention to the fact that you really need to pay attention to what your dress looks like from behind. Your dress may look FANTASTIC from the front (and if it doesn't why are you wearing it?) but please please please make sure you take a look in the mirror at the back, and that it is truly doing you every favor it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment